THE FRENCH MARKET
French market at a glance
- Area: 551 500 sq km
- Population: 65 951 000 (july 2013)
- Capital: Paris
- Large cities: Marseille, Lyon, Toulouse, Nantes, Lille
- GDP: US$ 2, 273 trillions
- World Rank: 10
- GDP PPP: US$ 35, 700
- About 4000 travel agents spread over France.
- 200 tours operators whose 50 % have a turnover over 10 millions euros.
- Luxury travel: highly profitable market segment with very experienced and knowledgeable tours managers specialized in tailor-made travel.
- Ad hoc and brochure tours groups: there is a sustained interest for group travel in the French market. The booking trend looks very promissing for the forthcoming season.
- Mice: more than 200 major agents. More than 80% are based in the Paris area.
- Works councils: approx. 40 000 works councils generate FIT and group business.
French market dispatch of travel agencies
The most part of the travel agents (3 800) have joined a network.
The main networks are:
- - AS Voyages (Afat – Selectours): 1200 shops
- - Tourcom: 600 shops
- - Manor (corporate): 220 shops
- - Carlson Wagonlits Travel: 500 shops
- - Thomas Cook*: 349 shops
- - TUI*: 326 shops
- - CEDIV: 200 shops
* It is likely that the number of TC and TUI outlets will decrease in the near future as both organisations recently sold assets.
Current market trend: increasingly travel agencies seek to work directly with hotels and DMCs and prefer to bypass tours operators. Therefore it is imperative to make sales calls to travel agencies and to attend B2B trade fairs in order to familiarize them with our customers' products.